he inscription describes the structure of the throne of heavy black
wood covered with a coat of pure gold 'about as thick as a guinea' with
indented tiger stripes. It was about eight
foot long and five foot wide with small tiger
heads at each of the eight corners. Three of these are known to
have survived, but two have subsequently disappeared. The canopy was
hung with a fringe of pearls surmounted by a bird of paradise 'entirely
composed of diamonds, rubies and emeralds'. Behind the throne a door
led to Tipu's bedchamber. Throughout the Palace the green walls were
painted with red tiger stripes, similar to
those which survive on the walls of the mausoleum which Tipu built for
his father at Gumbaz.
Marriott concludes 'NB the Throne being now broken in pieces by
the prize agents the above Mentioned Bird has been sent as a Present
to Her Majesty by the Rt Hon the Earl of Mornington Governor General
August 6 1799'. The central tiger head
or footstool, with crystal teeth 10cm long, was also preserved.
The inscription on an etching by an unknown artist after Edward
Blore of 'The State Carpet and Footstool of Tippoo Sultan's Throne'
published on 1st June 1809, records that the objects were drawn
'from the originals in the Museum of the Hon. The East India Company.'
The tiger head was subsequently presented to George III.